Skip to content
Wolrd War II | A short recap
- 1939, September 1: Germany invades Poland, marking the beginning of World War II.
- 1939, September 3: Britain and France declare war on Germany.
- 1940, May 10: Germany invades Belgium, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg. Winston Churchill becomes British Prime Minister.
- 1940, June 22: France surrenders to Germany.
- 1940, August 13: The Battle of Britain begins, with Germany attempting to gain air superiority over Britain.
- 1941, June 22: Germany invades the Soviet Union, breaking their non-aggression pact.
- 1941, December 7: Japan attacks Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, bringing the United States into the war.
- 1942, February 2: The Battle of Stalingrad ends in Soviet victory, marking a turning point in the war on the Eastern Front.
- 1943, July 10: The Allies invade Sicily, Italy.
- 1944, June 6: D-Day, the Allied invasion of Normandy, France.
- 1944, July 20: A failed assassination attempt on Adolf Hitler takes place.
- 1944, December 16: Germany launches a counteroffensive in the Ardennes, Belgium, in what becomes known as the Battle of the Bulge.
- 1945, April 12: U.S. President Franklin D. Roosevelt dies, and Harry S. Truman becomes president.
- 1945, April 30: Adolf Hitler commits suicide in his bunker in Berlin.
- 1945, May 7: Germany surrenders unconditionally to the Allies.
- 1945, August 6 and August 9: The United States drops atomic bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, respectively.
- 1945, August 15: Japan surrenders unconditionally to the Allies, ending World War II.